Monday, November 5, 2007


The Blue Oh

The article Rip Van River coupled with my visit to The Blue Hole, have served to give me a new perspective on the San Antonio River’s place of origin. Located on the campus of the University of Incarnate Word, this beautiful natural flowing spring has given its life blood to the communities of San Antonio for centuries. The Blue Hole is both powerful and majestic. San Antonio is truly blessed to receive its services.

Back in the nineteenth century The Blue Hole was praised by men like Sidney Lanier and Alex E. Sweet for being a well-spring of life whose waters were constantly being born anew. Sadly, as time went on (around the 1950s) the head waters would go into a deep sleep that would devastate the agricultural community in the area. Over time the inhabitants of the land came to the realization that the headwaters often napped. They would come and go with the change in the aquifers water level. This characteristic of the spring gave it the name “Sleeping Beauty” and “Rip Van River.”

As time went on The Blue Hole grew in renown and the land around it began to change owners. One of these “savvy” owners was a man by the name of George Washington Brackenridge. He had fallen in love with the enchanting cradle of life, and also desired to exploit it for its precious natural resource. Brackenridge quickly founded the San Antonio Water Works and began to cash in on his new treasure trove. Almost instinctively The Blue Hole began to shut its mouth and the water ceased to flow out. Then Bracken, sensing defeat reluctantly, sold the land to the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. This was the first step taken down the road of that would lead to the eventual construction of the University of the Incarnate Word.

Near the closing of 1991 “Sleeping Beauty” awoke out of her slumber as if she was kissed by her prince, and by 1992 was running though the fields. In June the Edwards Aquifer surged to an all time high of 703 feet above sea level. The San Antonio River overstepped its boundaries throughout its course, but it was still a welcomed change. Since then it has been up and down, but we have all grown to love its peculiar little quirks.

This weekend I was fortunate enough to visit The Blue Hole in person. I was blown away by its natural beauty. Never have I had the opportunity to visit the birth place of my SA River which I love so much. My adventure started when I arrived on campus looking for the fable “Blue Hole”. I promptly asked one of the students to direct me to the Blue Hole, but sadly he new nothing of it. Instead of being discouraged I searched out the visitor’s center and acquired the directions I needed. As I was following the direction I encountered some more challenges in finding its exact location, and almost as if an answer to prayer I was approached by an elderly nun. She quickly directed me to the site and even came by later to give me additional information on The Blue Hole. I was both captivated and spellbound by its beauty and chant. I will most definitely be returning.
554-words

No comments: